Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sunday June 5, 2011

On Sunday we spent the day visiting briefly with all three of our carepoints. The deal with having a Vision Team over here is that you want them to see as many carepoints as possible, but you also want them to see how they work. The bonus there for the kids is that they were fed on a Sunday, and that's not supposed to happen. With Hopechest, it Monday through Saturday. So, they got a bonus feed.

So the guys from Iowa suggested that I read the book called "When Helping Hurts" by Steve Corbett and Brian Fikkert. They are letting me read the book that they brought and its a very good book. I really think that I should have read the book before I ever came over here. In fact, I think we all should. Sometimes the things we do might make us feel better, but in the long run, we are actually hurting the people we are trying to help. That was evidenced by the begging that we saw from one of the men.

Let me be clear about this. We do need to be here. I need to be here. We are making a difference. These kids are doing better because of what we are doing. The thing is, we can't just keep treating the symptoms here. We need to treat the problem. I'm not an expert, but its a great book.

On Monday, we will visit one more carepoint, than it is off to Jinja. Joe and Dylan head back home on Tuesday. I have really enjoyed visiting with the two of them. The task they are undertaking with their companies is impressive. In short, they said they feel like they can have a bigger influence on their employees if they can see them being the church. Not going to church, but being the church. That's impressive.

Thanks for your prayers!

Tom Cox

No comments:

Post a Comment