Monday, June 20, 2011

Monday Night, June 20th, 2011

Hello everyone. This is a follow-up to this mornings blog. Today was tough!

Richard was his name. He left behind a wife, who is in her twenty's, and seven kids.

The funeral was held at their home, which consist of about three huts. With friends and neighbors cooking food for everyone. They came together to celebrate his life and voice their frustrations as to how he died. The Karamojong waited outside his hut while others were stealing cattle. When he stepped outside, they shot him in the side. When he collapsed, they shot him again. He died. His battle is over, but the battle just became harder for his wife and kids.

I watched a young widow faint today. I watched a sister cry. I watched an orphaned son collapse under a tree from crying, missing his dad. I watched another orphaned son serve water to the guest who had come to mourn his father. I watched a community come together to pay for his funeral. I watched the very same people take up another collection to pay any outstanding bills and maybe, just maybe, there might be some left over for the family. Obligation before needs.

These are good people! These are God fearing people. These people, are my brothers and sisters. We share the same Heavenly Father.

I miss my family and friends back home. I truly do. I am, however, very thankful for the time I am getting to spend here. I know without any doubts that this is where I am supposed to be at this moment. We serve a wonderful and gracious God.

Keep me in your prayers. Today we have seven more orphans that need sponsored.

Hug your spouse and kids!

Goodnight.

Tom Cox

No comments:

Post a Comment