Friday, January 13, 2012

Saturday Jan 14, 2012

Its early Saturday morning here in Soroti, so, I just want to follow up on what has been going on this week.

First, Peninah was accepted into the boarding school, no problem. They looked at the report we had brought from her previous school, test her, and said she would have no problems. I think the only problem Peninah had that day was my driving. She usually sits in the back and is usually asleep as soon as she gets in the car. This time she was in the front........ and had to actually see these roads, not my driving!

Thursday was payday for the workers in the village. They work Monday through Thursday, they are off on Friday to be able to go to the market, and than they come back to work on Saturday and take Sunday off as well. So on Thursday, I went with Robert to deliver the payroll. When we arrived at Acanga, they were expecting a meeting. They showed me the goats they had arrested since I had last been there. They are arranging to have a community wide meeting to further address their concerns about the animals being in the gardens and the few people who continue to allow their animals roam the gardens. I like the direction they going in, but I asked them why it was that we had to keep having meetings in Acanga? Again, I told them that these were their kids and that this was their project. They really need to get behind the workers and stand up for them when they arrest the goats and whatever else that gets into the garden. Before I left, I was treated to a potato that had been baked in the dirt. Don't know how they did it, I just know that it was good.

Above everything else that has happened this week...... I am excited about the prospect of hand-digging water wells in our gardens. From everyone I have talked to in the villages, it is very likely that we will be able to hit water within the 75 feet range. This is great news. Also, it seems that we have more wind than I remembered having here. Maybe having a windmill to pump the water is a viable option.

Sorry if I am rambling on, but I'm trying on this blog thing..... wish I was better at it. Thanks for the feedback that I have been getting. But most of all, thank you for your support and prayers!

Tom Cox

2 comments:

  1. Baked potato cooked in the ground...now I'll have to try that for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news about Peninah! Also glad to hear Acanga is attempting to stop the salad bar for goats. I agree with you that they need to get to a point and just take care of it on their own.

    Also excited to hear about the wells. Is this something additional that will be done?

    Thanks for sharing!

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete