Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Just A Side Note .... Jan 11, 2012

So I take every opportunity I get to meet people here in Uganda. Whether here in Soroti or in Kampala. You know those little boxes that pop up on the right side of facebook that say people you should or might know? Everytime I see someone from Uganda, I send a friend request. I have begun to meet a lot of people this way.

One of the people I have met is studying business at one of the Universities in Kampala. Hers is an interesting story. Her family lives here in Soroti. After talking to her I have learned what a struggle it is for her to go to school. And what some parents will do to send their child to school.

You see, there is a rock quarry here in Soroti. I have never been there, but others from Children's Hopechest have. You see these women sit there and pound rocks into gravel all day long. They do this by hand. They get paid about $30.00 for every truck load of gravel they produce. Thats $30.00 for every TRUCK LOAD they produce. Did I mention that this is by hand?

Thats what this girls mother has done to send her sister, and now her and her brother to college. The cost of college here in Uganda is about $800.00 per semester.

To me, that is an amazing display of love and sacrifice to show a child. I don't think I could do it. I was told that as soon as her brother and her are finished with college, the mother will quit that job.

Just a side note of a mothers love!

1 comment: