Friday, January 20, 2012

Friday January 20th, 2012 - Life Lessons

One of the most common things said to me from my friends and family back home is how proud they are of me for sacrificing so much to go to Uganda. I never know just how to take that because I really don't feel like I have given anything up. There is the obvious, my Family, my Church, the People I work with, and I could go on and on about these things that I miss, but they are relationships that I really just bring right along with me. They are a phone call, an email, or on occasion, I can even Skype them and be able to see them. Regardless, those relationships are always with me. I do miss them, but I know that when I see them again, it will be that much more special. I think most of the time, I, and maybe we all, take those for granted.

For me, the hard part about being here, now don't laugh, is the way I am catered to. I said don't laugh, because that is something that I really have a hard time dealing with. It's like the last time I moved, Robert & Margot Genzer surprised me by showing up at my new home with a dresser, and some muscle to help me get moved in. Ask Margot....... she will tell you just how hard that was for me to let them help. Then there is Jackie Taylor, she has a key to my house now that she has used to go and organize my home while I have been gone. That one is not as hard to deal with simply because I am not there to witness her doing it, but when I arrived home, the last time...... It was hard, because I could tell how much work she had done. Then there are the people that I work with. They work so hard in a Company that I really don't have a lot to do with anymore, so that I can come over here and do "missionary work".

God is working on me.

Life in Soroti is not that difficult at all. You see here at home, I have both John and Joseph. These are two young men that were abducted as teenagers by Joseph Kony and the LRA to fight in a war. On one occasion, John was almost killed instantly, by the same men he was fighting with, because he knew the direction to the home he was from. John has multiple gunshot wounds that he suffered as a child. Joseph has multiple gun shot wounds as well. One of which, sits so close to his spine that when you put your finger on it, you feel his back bone. These are two young men, that literally had their youth stolen from them. They stay here and protect me from whatever trouble may come. Whenever there is a need, they run to the store as quickly as you can say "will you" and they are off. They keep the dogs that are released every night to roam the fenced compound, fed and bathed. They make sure that I am locked in at night and okay in the morning. They are truly a blessing. How do they respond to being abducted as kids? They praise God for seeing them through it safely.

Immaculate comes every morning to cook breakfast, lunch and dinner for me. She arrives at about 8:00 am and leaves around 7:00 pm. When I say cook, I mean cook. It is not as simple as going to the store and picking up a box of mix and spices or a couple of chicken breast and ground chuck. Each meal is prepared from scratch. The garlic is sliced and ground, the onions are cut and diced. Everything is done only to start preparing the next meal. Special attention is paid to what I like and what I don't. In between working on the meals...... she finds time to do my laundry and clean the house. In case you are wondering, the laundry is washed by hand and hung up to dry. When my laundry is done, it is brought back to my room neatly folded or ironed, maybe both.

Right now, I have Penninah, a twelve year old girl, and Joahan, a twenty five year old, also here to help take care of me. Penninah will be off to boarding school on the 22nd and Joahan will be leaving around the 29th to go back to the University in Kampala. Both of them work very hard to make my life easier. The entire house is swept with a small, locally made hand broom, that requires them to bend at the waist to sweep, and then mopped with a towel and a bucket of water. This is done in the morning and in the afternoon.

Yesterday two young girls arrived from one of the villages. They too have pitched in to help around the house and or compound. Their names are Harriet (age 14) and Scolla (age 17). Penninah was excited to see them, so I know they have been here before. I have met both of them before. Harriet, because she is just one of the many kids that Joseph and Anne (the owners of the home I rent) pay for their school fees. I've met Scolla before because I have visited the Village she lives at. They have both arrived because Joseph and Anne will be here later today and school will start soon. Regardless, they have both found their way into the work detail.

They sing while they work. What do they sing? They sing praises to God. When I tell them thank you, they say "no.......... thank you". "For what?"... I ask. For paying for a roof over their head and food for them to eat. For providing a job for Immaculate who supports five boys and also takes care of her father.

It sounds so rough doing mission work! The truth is, it is very hard to watch them do this much work. When I try to do my own laundry, it makes them uneasy. Its like they have done something wrong. I have tried explaining to them how uncomfortable it makes me for them to do everything and they have asked me to please let them.

I am so humbled right now to be surrounded by so good of people. They work hard because they glorify God with their work. They bless me so much. I came to serve, and yet I am served. Faith in God and Trust in Him is taught to me every day here in Uganda. I pray that I can do the things that God has sent me to do. That my eyes are open to what he wants me to see, and that I can tell some story in a way that touches you that are reading this post.

Thank you for your prayers!

1 comment:

  1. I agree...definitely one of the hardest parts. I like how you said, "I came to serve, yet I am served." That describes perfectly the feeling you have when so many people are working to ensure that you are cared for. But, isn't that what true relationships are all about...give and take, caring for one another, loving and be loved. Their helping you only shows that you are working hard to forge relationships with people, not simply serve like so many do. You are not ONLY there to serve, but to love and be loved by friends and even those treasured so much they have become known as 'family'.

    ReplyDelete